Anima Vox is excited to announce O Blissful Loss of Self, Explorations of Ecstasy in the Music and Poetry of Women, a new concert project and call for scores. This project will feature compositions by women for flute and soprano based on ecstatic texts written by female poets. Please click here for a full description of the project. Chosen works will be given live performances at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro as part of the 2020-2021 She Can We Can celebration on January 31, 2021. The top two compositions will receive an honorarium.
- Instrumentation: Pieces must be for flute (possible doubling on piccolo, alto or bass flute) and voice/soprano. Compositions may include computer electronics, small percussion instruments played by the performers, multimedia elements, free improvisation, or other non-traditional ideas. Please email us if you have questions (AnimaVoxDuo@gmail.com).
- Composer: Composer must identify as female.
- Compositions must be based on texts which contain ecstatic elements by female poets. Some examples of female ecstatic poets are Sor Juana de la Cruz (1651-1695), Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179), Lalla (1320-1392), Sappho (BCE 630-570) and Emily Dickinson (1830-1886). For more examples of ecstatic poetry, please see the anthology Wild Poets of Ecstasy by D.J. Moores (Blue Dolphin Publishing). Poetry in any language will be considered. Ecstatic poetry generally contains themes of immersion or loss of the self (spiritual or physical), suspension of time, or experiences of rapture. One could argue that all poetry is ecstatic, therefore, it is how the composer perceives and sets the poem that is key. By submitting a work to this call, the composer assumes all rights and responsibilities of obtaining permissions for any texts not in the public domain. Proof of rights may be requested by Anima Vox.
- Compositions should be a minimum of 5 minutes and a maximum of 10 minutes. Multi-movement works will also be considered.
- The work must not have been performed, published or recorded (exception: non-public performances in a university context).
Deadline: Submissions via the google form below are due by July 15, 2020.
Honoraria: Two compositions will be selected for an honorarium of $500 and live performance. More compositions may also be chosen for performance without an honorarium. Honoraria will be provided by the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
The composers of the selected works will receive:
- at least one public performance of the work at UNCG
- an archival recording
- advertisement on the Anima Vox and FaceBook webpages
- possible future performances
To apply, please fill out the online submission form below. Files can be attached to the google form, shared via Dropbox, or sent via email to Anima Vox at AnimaVoxDuo@gmail.com. Scores should be PDFs and Sample recordings in mp3 format. Finale or Sibelius files might be requested at a later date.
Google Form: https://forms.gle/mDxqKejK9VBEpakE8
Announcement: Scores selected for honoraria and performance will be announced at www.animavoxduo.com by August 15, 2020.
O Blissful Loss of Self is supported by funding from the UNCG Provost’s Office and School of Music.